Monday, March 25, 2013

WOW, has it been that long?

I have been so busy with lessons at Vermont adaptive and just taking care of myself and my home that I have neglected my Blogging duties.  I should use this time to tell about adapting with Vermont Adaptive.

When I originally started to volunteer at Vermont Adaptive I wanted to just be a normal volunteer without anyone knowing that I had a brain injury.  This was 12 years ago.  Now I realize that admitting my injury to others has helped them to understand my quirks and accept my deficits.  By expressing my challenges with clients I have created bonds and a level of trust that I did not have before.  Clients often express a comfort in working with someone else that has disabilities.  I have adapted to a new learning and teaching style that takes advantage of my knowledge of the challenges, frustrations and joys of adapting to your disability.  With the help of a competent therapist I have come to accept that my brain injury has changed some things for the better.

I have to get ready for Yoga now but I will get back to this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment