Saturday, September 28, 2013

Interview questions

A Linkedin member noticed my post on the TBI Network group and asked if she could send me some interview questions. Here they are with my responses.

1.  What technologies would you recommend for someone adapting after a tbi?(I liked your question: Could disruptive technologies somehow help me to look at my brain injury as an asset?)

If you are fairly high functioning after your brain injury get a Smartphone running either iOS or Android remove everything from the device except Google calendar to start.  Don’t even have a pretty wallpaper background so you can minimize distraction and confusion.  When you become competent with the calendar to make appointments then start tracking tasks and keeping notes.  You can simply start using tasks in calendar or add a special App for tasks or to do lists.  There are paid Apps specifically designed for people with cognitive impairments like, It’s done (http://itsdoneapp.com/ )and Peat (http://brainaid.com/) but I like using a free App called Deja Office (http://www.dejaoffice.com/).  This App is actually a group of Apps called a Customer Relations Management CRM App suite.  It contains;
DejaContacts, an advanced CRM for mobile business on your phone and tablet that links to your other contact lists.
DejaCalendar, to manage your agenda with ease with unique features like Date Picker, a single-screen design that makes it a pleasure to create appointments on your device.
DejaMemos, a secure repository for your notes, summaries, and ideas. Memos can be linked to DejaContacts so you are never more than one tap away from key associations.
DejaExpense, to track and categorize every expense. This App sends Email reports from your device.
DejaJournal, which tracks communication with every contact by logging phone calls, meetings, and tasks. Journal entries can be attached to Contacts to easily remind you of who you met and what you discussed.
DejaTasks is  a task manager with options that mold to your workflow. You can choose from Franklin Covey, Getting Things Done, Take Back Your Life, Microsoft Outlook, and Palm Desktop task styles.  Again, each task can be linked to the other Deja Apps so you always know how the people, places, times, communications, commitments, appointments and expenses in your life are related to each other.

The first App I added to my phone was called ICE card or in case of emergency card.  ICEcard is a convenient way to store information needed by rescuers and doctors, if you are a victim of an emergency.   In addition to a list of contacts of the closes persons, it also allows you to save information about taken medications, passed diseases, allergies and other health information.

 A special alarm button allows the device  to send an emergency sms message to  people from your contact list, containing among other things data collected from mobile phone’s GPS, so that the closest persons become instantly informed about serious life-threatening situations and receive information about the current position of the user.
 There are several other free Apps like Ice card (http://clusor.com/app-3-2,ICEcard.html) just make sure anyone can access the information from your lock screen in case you can’t communicate.

The next App I added was Med Helper (http://medhelperapp.com/).  This App is what allowed me to be more consistent with my medications which enabled me to add and learn the other Apps and to experiment with the customization of my devices.

Because I use an Android Smartphone and tablet I use an App called Tasker (http://tasker.dinglisch.net/) to customize my devices to my specific needs.  I use Tasker to have the devices remind me to place them on their chargers at bedtime.  Tasker alerts me to other times when the batteries get low so I can charge the devices before they shut down.  My devices recognize when they are in the car or at home or at a specific location like a doctor’s office so they can adjust their settings automatically.  For example when I am home my phone turns off cell service, turns the volume and brightness up, turns off the global positioning and data services and knows to alarm me for tasks, appointments, medications and other important events.  When in the car the phone turns on GPS and the Google Maps application.  Turns off the Wifi service and turns on Bluetooth for my hands free headset.  At the doctors the phone is silenced and my appointment App with any notes for the appointment come up.  These automated functions had to be programmed and some require small radio frequency RF tags to operate but they reduce my stress and confusion allowing me to concentrate on what is important.

I suggest using a tablet or pc to do email, banking, word processing and accessing websites and social media rather than using your Smartphone.  The Apps I use like Dejaoffice run on pc and mobile devices and the data is synchronized across all devices automatically.  This way I can access my prosthetic memory almost anywhere.
Technology is wonderful and is improving all the time but it does have some weaknesses.  I had a week where both my phone and tablet were out of commission.  I had dropped my phone in a puddle of water and I dropped a log on my tablet while working in my yard.  Occasionally an App will fail to initiate an alarm or will stop responding.  This can be a critical problem when relying on the device for medication management and safety.  There is no technological replacement for a thoughtful and observant care giver that can prompt you or assist you in an emergency.

2.  You were very open about your tbi bringing out the worst in your personality. How has a mindfulness approach in therapy helped you?

I practice yoga and meditation daily in an effort to reduce stress and expand the time that I can operate in a mindful manner.  In terms of mindfulness and therapies, I have approached and studied Cognitive, Behavioral, Therapy (CBT) and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) with a very open yet focused mind.  I believe that being mindful is easy when you assign a high priority to the thing you are doing.  After 20 years of not being mindful of anything I have finally come to appreciate the happiness I can achieve when I am completely “in the moment” and experiencing life as a human being rather than a human doing.  ( I wish I could remember who I learned the human being rather than human doing concept so I could give proper credit)

3.  Is there any general advice that you would give a person who has a tbi?

Don’t fight the changes you experience adapt to them.
Work on improving deficits with cognitive exercises, behavioral, physical, psychological and other therapies.
Use technology and other tools to keep safe, get and remain organized, and develop independence.
Be thankful, tolerant, patient, loving and caring to family and friends, especially when they are helping you to remember important responsibilities like taking medications on time.
Although I prefer to write from the information gained in your responses, is it okay if I use your blog as background and paraphrase from it if needed?
Yes, it would be fine use my blog or website as background and paraphrase from them if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment